Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) affects as many as 5 million women in the United States and is one of the most common endocrine disorders in women. In addition to having a substantial impact on a woman’s fertility, PCOS affects weight, metabolism, hormonal imbalances, and physical appearance such as male pattern baldness and development of facial hair. Women with PCOS are at higher risks for Type II diabetes, cardiovascular disease, stroke and endometrial cancer.
PCOS is often one of the most undiagnosed endocrine disorders in women next to thyroid disease.
In September 2011 for PCOS Awareness Month, I ran a week-long series of guest posts from four women living with PCOS. In 2012, I decided to make this a regular annual feature each September for PCOS Awareness Month. Below are all the posts in the Voices of PCOS series. I’ve also included a master list of all resources mentioned in the Voices of PCOS blog posts.
Do you have a PCOS Voice to share and are interested in being profiled? Please contact me.
Voices of PCOS 2013
In lieu of the traditional narrative blog posts for my annual Voices of PCOS, I’ve devoted my September articles for infertility.answers.com specifically to PCOS education and resources. This list will be updated as each post goes live; I’ll also be sharing them on Facebook, tweeting them on Twitter, and pinning them on Pinterest.
- 4 Myths About Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
- 5 Surprising Facts About PCOS You May Not Know
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome: Is It Time for a New Name?
- How Is PCOS Diagnosed?
- 6 Common Symptoms of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
- How to Tell If You Have PCOS: Signs & Symptoms In Depth
- Complications Associated with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
- How Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Affects Fertility
- Fertility Treatment Options for Women with PCOS
- Know Your Fertility Drugs: Metformin
- Know Your Fertility Drugs: Clomid
- Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome: Know the Risk
- Natural Treatments Options for PCOS
- PCOS Diet Planning: Foods to Have and Foods to Avoid
- 5 PCOS Support and Education Organizations
- The 6 Best Books About PCOS
- 6 Facebook Groups for PCOS Support
- 14 Facebook Pages for PCOS Awareness
- 10 PCOS Twitter Accounts to Follow Right Now
- 10 Pinterest Boards for PCOS Awareness and Support
Voices of PCOS 2012
- Discovering My Diva by Amy Medling from PCOS Diva
- PCOS (Or Why I’m Obsessed With Polka Dots) by Tricia from Stream Of The Conscious
- A Fertility Specialist Takes Charge of Her Fertility by Gabriela Rosa from Natural Fertility Breakthrough
- My Unique Connection to PCOS by Hillary Wright from The PCOS Diet Plan
Voices of PCOS 2011
- Keiko’s Story: The Voices of PCOS by Yours Truly
- Kristin’s Story: Living by the Index by Kristin from Once A Mother
- Mandie’s Story: Zen and the Art of Baby-Making by Mandie from To Love a Rose
- Melissa’s Story – PCOS and the “Skinny Cyster” by Melissa from With Every Heartbeat
- Kymberli’s Story – Empowering Yourself as a PCOS Cyster by Kymberli Barney from The Smartness
Websites Featured in this Series
- PCOS: An Overview from RESOLVE
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome Fact Sheet from the Dept. of Human Health & Services
- Kalyn’s Kitchen
- Whey Low
Books & Resources Featured in this Series
- The PCOS Diet Plan by Hilary Wright
- Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Wechsler
- PCOS and Your Fertility by Colette Harris and Theresa Cheung
- The Fertility Diet by Jorge Chavarro and Walter Willett
- Cooking to Conceive by the Editors of Conceive Magazine
- Yoga 4 Fertility (DVD) by Brenda Strong
Find more infertility resources on my Be Informed page →